Positively Pittsburgh Live!
30 Plus Things Pittsburgh Is Thankful For…
TechnoGranny has laryngitis and some Pittsburghers and friends might be thankful for that. However we decided the show must go on, so standing in tonight is JoAnn Forrester, host of Empress of Biz and frequent co-host on Positively Pittsburgh Live.
PPL Staff decided to move up the "Thankful For" Show on the editorial calendar so that PPL listeners and fans can participate. Tonight Jo Ann will give you thirty plus reasons Pittsburgh should be thankful, then fans and listeners can email their "Thankful For" Ideas for Pittsburgh and we will announce them on shows from now until Thanksgiving culminating in a huge Thankful For Show on Thanksgiving Weekend that all can participate in. Details to be announced after TG gets her voice back.
30 Plus Things Pittsburgh Should Be Thankful For
- Thankful for our Sports Teams and Hall of Fame Sports Figures who have settled here
- Hall of Fame Super Bowl Winners, JT Thomas, Franco Harris, Mel Blunt, Mike Wagner, Randy Grossman, Rocky Blier, Andy Russell
- Women’s Football Team, The Pittsburgh Passion, led by Teresa Conn
- The Southwest PA District of the Small Business Administration which is one of the most active in the country with Director Carl Knoblock
- The number of small businesses and people who have won national recognition for achievements. Techno Granny, SBA Journalist of the Year, Sarris Chocolates, 2010 Mark Peterson, Financial Services and Marilyn Landis 2009
- Our tremendous higher education system including The University of Pittsburgh, Duquesne Unviersity, Carnegie Mellon University, Robert Morris University, Slippery Rock University, Edinboro University, California State University, Indiana State Unviersity, Point Park University, Chatham University, and Carlow University
- Our Amazing Health System as Health Technology is not only some of the best in the world but one of our best exports from the Pittsburgh Area:Jonas Salk: Polio Vaccine; Thomas Starzel: leading surgeon in transplants and Pittsburgh leader in the world for brain trauma research
- Our Extensive Cultural Institutions: Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, Quantum Theatre, Pittsburgh Irish Classical Theatre, Pitt Repertory Theatre, Pittsburgh Symphony, Pittsburgh Public Theatre
- Our wonderful Cultural Venues: Heinz Hall, Benedum Center for the Performing Arts, O’Reilly Theatre, Byham Theatre
- Our wonderful ability to take the old and make it new and useful again
- Our amazing artistic community of both performers and artists: Jazz Artist Sean Jones, Dr. Nelson Harrelson, Donna Bailey, Etta Cox, Rocker Billie Price, Donnie Iris, Sounds of Pittsburgh Sweet Adelides, Troubadors like Martin Thomas, Tamboritzans, Walt Harper, Jessica Lee
- The Billion Dollar Companies that provide tax dollars and jobs in Pittsburgh: THE PITTSBURGH 100+ Billion-Dollar Companies with Headquarters Operations in the Pittsburgh Region. Since 2003, headquarters employment in Pittsburgh has increased by 90 percent. Nationally, headquarters employment has grown by only 12 percent during that same period. http://www.alleghenyconference.org/PDFs/PRAFactSheets/FS09Pittsburgh100.pdf
o Pittsburgh Glass Works, The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc., PPG Industries, Inc., Reed Smith LLP, Giant Eagle, Inc., H. J. Heinz, Highmark, Inc., Koppers, Inc., Duquesne Light Co., Starkist, Inc., The University of Pittsburgh University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Westinghouse Electric Company
o International Companies like BNY Mellon, GlaxoSmithKline, Bayer
· The Movie Business in Pittsburgh
o PITTSBURGH (CNNMoney) – “Once known for its steel mills and smog, Pittsburgh is fast becoming the Tinseltown of the East. A generous film tax credit, coupled with the region's diverse landscape and skilled labor unions, have made the city a hot destination for recent productions -- and the firms that cater to them.”
o “Local Resource used by the Movie Business is , a sound stage and production company located on the site of a former steel mill in Pittsburgh's Strip District. Founded in 2011 by investment banker and native Pittsburgher Chris Breakwell, the facility is 300,000 square feet, making it the largest production facility outside of New York or Los Angeles.”
- Great Non-Profits: Cribs for Kids, started here by Pgh Director Judy Bannon now is a national entity and has led major campaigns for Safe sleeping
- International Sports Champions
- Internationally Known Celebrities and Movie Stars: Sharon Stone, Lennie and Squiggy of Lavern and Shirely, Joseph Wambauh Writer, Actor Jeff Goldblum, Stephen Foster, George Benson, Actress Shirley Jones, August Wilson, Playwright, Marvin Hamlisch, Christina Aguliera, Actress Barbara Feldon from Get Smart, Perry Como, Bobby Vinton, Gene Kelly, David McCullough, Jimmy Stewart, Rachel Carson author activist Silent spring, Mary Robert Rinehart, author journalist, and playwright, Perle Mesta Hostess with the Mostess Mesta Machine, Lorin Mazel Conductor of the Pittsburgh Symphony, Andre Previn Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners
- Philanthropists: Elsie Hlliman, Andrew Carnegie, Charles Schwaub, Henry Clay Frick, Mary Schenley-Schenley Park, Perle Mesta-Hostess with the Mostess, Teresa Heinz
Please send us your uniquely Pittsburgh Thankful For Ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will read them on PositivelyPittsburghLive between now and Thanksgiving Day, culminating with a special broadcast Thanksgiving Weekend. Please give us your name and any additional information so we can give you credit.
This was reported as a reproduction of PositvelyPittsburghLive news done by Joanne Quinn-Smith. (c) Joanne Quinn-Smith and PositivelyPittsburghLive(TM) 2012 All rights reserved.
Tara Darazio is a Positively Pittsburgh Live reporter, an independent copywriter, blogger, article writer, and social media strategist. If you are in need of writing assistance, or need help with your social media efforts connect with Tara on LinkedIn here.