Positively Pittsburgh Live! 7-18-11
Private School Education, Online Learning, alternatives to Public School Education. Get some upfront source information from the Falk School, Oakland Catholic and VLN Partners who proviide web-based multimedia lessons presented in many Pittsburgh area district's classrooms.
Dr. Wendell McConnaha, Falk School
Maureen Marsteller Oakland Catholic principal
Dr. David Bowlin, VLN Partners
Wendell McConnaha, Falk School
|Dr. Wendell McConnaha, Falk School|
· Currently serving as Director of the Falk School and Associate Professor in the School of Education.
· Served as an Associate Professor in the College of Education on the Abu Dhabi campus of Zayed University in the United Arab Emirates.
· Worked at the at several universities.
· Served as a consultant in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, China, Chile, England, Indonesia, Romania, Spain, Canada and Nigeria.
· Worked in program development and evaluation for ECIS, North Central Association, Milken Institute, Black Sea University Network, National Association of Laboratory Schools, USAID, Teacher Training Agency, the National Institute of Health, the United States Department of Energy, and the Public Broadcasting System.
· Has experience as a primary and secondary classroom teacher, primary and secondary school counselor, school principal and superintendent.
· Has a Ph.D. Degree in Educational Leadership from Purdue University; an Ed. Sp. Degree in Educational Administration and Supervision from the University of Nebraska; an M.A. Endorsement in Educational Administration from the University of Nebraska; an M.S. Degree in Counseling and Psychotherapy from the University of Nebraska; and a B.A. Degree in Education from Wayne State College.
· Served as a consultant for an STTA project in Indonesia addressing issues related to establishing and maintaining University Based Laboratory Schools (UBLS) in Indonesia.
Falk Laboratory School:
- Private, Tuition based, K-8 school that is part of the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Founded in 1931 under a charter agreement between the University of Pittsburgh and benefactors Leon Falk Jr. and his sister, Marjorie Falk Levy.
- Assists the University in preparing teachers, conducting research, developing curriculum and demonstrating best practice.
- There are approximately 350 students.
- Most of our students are from the Squirrel Hill, Oakland and Shady Side areas; however, students commute from as far away as Wexford and Sewickley. We are 36% children of color. Nearly 1/3 of our students receive tuition support because of economic need.
- All our teachers are faculty members of the School of Education and hold a Masters Degree or a PhD.
- Named the "Best Green School Makeover" by Pittsburgh Magazine, and the outstanding school design in the mid-Atlantic region by the McGraw-Hill Corporation.
Dr. David Bowlin, VLN Partners
- Director of Online Learning
- Accomplished, resourceful and experienced doctoral-level educational leader with over 16 years in public education and an outstanding track record in the leadership of a 21st century learning environment.
- Educational Leadership
- Distance Education
- Blended Learning Theory
- Our developers build engaging web-based multimedia lessons that match the scope and sequence of instruction presented in your district’s classrooms.
- A Turnkey Cyber School Solution.
- Professional Development for Your Teachers.
- Our Programs pay for themselves on an ongoing basis after district’s pay a nominal annual fee. We actually guarantee a return on investment.
- Marketing Support Services.
Dr. David Bowlin, VLN Partners, 412-381-0183
Maureen Marsteller, Oakland Catholic
- Principal of Oakland Catholic High School since July 2002.
- Native of McKeesport
- Has a B.S. in Music Education from Duquesne University, a master’s degree in secondary education and a doctorate in educational administration from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Was the Assistant Principal at St. Louise deMarillac Elementary School in Upper St. Clair.
- 2011 high school principal recipient of the Diocese of Pittsburgh's Golden Apple award. The award is given to principals who have devoted their lives to Catholic school education.
Oakland Catholic High School
- Educating young women from the city, suburbs, and beyond since its establishment by Bishop Donald Wuerl in 1989.
- Over 600 students from 45 school districts, 89 Catholic parishes.
- Graduates receive thousands of dollars annually in academic scholarships to a variety of university programs including upper-echelon schools and the Ivy League.
- Christ-centered, college preparatory school for young women of diverse backgrounds.
- An environment that promotes spiritual formation, excellence in education, a wide range of activities and athletics, service to others.
- Formed under the patronage of St. Joan of Arc, dedicated to teaching young women to lead lives of faith, courage, and commitment as they lay the foundation for their future as responsible and respectable global leaders.
Dr. Maureen Marsteller, email@example.com, Phone: 412-682-6633
Delana Flowers is a multi-talented creative. She is a Positively Pittsburgh Live reporter, a dynamic vocalist, an amazing Actress, and an independent writer. Delana is owner of Ingenuity by Delana Flowers ©, writing effective copy so you don’t have to. Services include copywriting for newsletters, blogs, ad copy, marketing pieces, articles, reviews, invitations, postcards, flyers and more.