Positively Pittsburgh Live! 2-21-11
Black History Month Special
Pittsburgh African American Media
Rebecca Nuttall, Staff writer at the New Pittsburgh Courier
Donna M. Baxter, CEO of Soul Pitt Media
· Staff writer with the New Pittsburgh Courier for nearly three years.
a Shortly after graduating from Edinoro University of Pennsylvania
i in 2008, Rebecca came to the New Pittsburgh Courier, a great first job for a young writer.
· At Edinboro, she served as the Managing Editor of the university’s newspaper, The Spectator as well as the Literary Editor of the publication, Chimera: A Journal of Art and Literature.
· During her time with the Courier she has covered a variety of topics including several political campaigns and the epidemic of violence plaguing Pittsburgh’s African-American community. She also had the pleasure of writing the Courier’s lead piece on the inauguration of President Barack Obama
· Personally, in light of President Obama and the Courier's anniversary, this has been a prime time to work for the newspaper.
The New Pittsburgh Courier
· The celebration of the New Pittsburgh Courier's 100th anniversary has been a year long and culminated with the Centennial Gala on Feb. 19. Other recognition of the anniversary includes "American's Best Weekly" an exhibit currently on display at the Heinz History Center.
· At it's height, the Courier printed 21 editions across the country and had a circulation of 450,000, which is the largest of any nationally distributed Black newspaper.
· The Courier played a part in fighting for African-American rights in many ways including printing a list of lynchings and printing a series of commentaries by Dr. Martin Luther King
· The Courier continues to compete as one of the top African-American newspapers in the country having won one-third of the NNPA's awards.
· Violence and education are two of the top issues we cover. Our editorial team sees education as the key to ending the cycle of violence.
· News and event coverage email firstname.lastname@example.org
· To get the paper online go to www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com
Donna M. Baxter
· CEO and WebMistress of Soul Pitt Media, an African American internet marketing and graphic design firm based in Pittsburgh, PA.
· Former rap artist turned internet Tech Diva, from “Rhymer to Digital Designer”.
· Donna also co-hosts the Soul Pitt Xtra community radio show, along with Terina Hicks, which is currently syndicated on WGBN AM 1150 and RadioMagicPittsburgh.com
· Donna serves as a speaker and digital consultant and is on a mission to educate Minority and women business owners on the power of the Internet.
· Named “Rookie of the Year” by The National Association of Women Business Owners in 2006 Pittsburgh Magazine named her one of the “40 Under 40” young leader for 2006
· Originally from Johnstown, PA, Donna holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications Media from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master’s degree in Education and Instructional Technology from AIU.
· She is the author of the forthcoming book “Dr. King Would’ve Had a Dream and a Blog: and 26 Other Reasons to Get Online or Get Left Behind!”
· Find out more about her at www.donnambaxter.com
The Soul Pitt
· Founded in 2000, this award-winning company helps individuals, businesses and corporations reach African American consumers through online advertising, print and radio with clients including numerous small business owners, along with the August Wilson Center, Allstate Insurance, McDonald’s, Highmark, Verizon Wireless, the US Army and many others
· Soul Pitt Media helps people connect with the Minority community through TheSoulPitt.com, Pittsburgh’s premier Minority community award winning web site, which receives over 450,000 page views per month and Soul Pitt Quarterly, a community magazine which is a spin-off of the website, in which 10,000 complimentary copies are distributed around Pittsburgh each quarter
· Soul Pitt promotes events and businesses, Spiritual section informs about what’s going on in the church community, family events, health section promotes free screenings and an entertainment and business section. Promotes most nonprofits for free
· Soul Pitt Quarterly is sponsored in part by Highmark and advertisements. High quality and free
"Multi-Media Options to Keep you Connected with Pittsburgh's Minority Community!
Radio Soul Pitt Xtra | TV Catch our "Soul Bites" on WPGH Fox 53
Office: 412.407.SOUL | Email: email@example.com
To hear this episode of Positively Pittsburgh Live in its entirety go to
Notes culled from Live Broadcast of PositivelyPittsburghLive and reported by Delana Flowers.
(c) PositivelyPittsburghLive and Joanne Quinn-Smith 2011
Delana Flowers is a Positively Pittsburgh Live reporter, an independent writer and owner of Ingenuity by Delana Flowers ©, writing effective copy so you don’t have to. Services include copywriting for newsletters, blogs, ad copy, marketing pieces, articles, reviews, invitations, postcards, flyers and more.