Positively Pittsburgh News from March 22, 2010
by PositivelyPittsburgh Reporter, Delaina Flowers
THE SOUL PITT QUARTERLY (SPQ) MAGAZINE
Pittsburgh's Premier Minority Community Arts & Entertainment Magazine
4 Issues - One Goal
The magazine's vision and mission will be to focus on those positive people, organizations, businesses and opportunities within the region's arts, entertainment and cultural environment in the Minority community. Its interactive component will revolutionize the way magazines are produced, distributed and read today while also being an effective tool for all of your advertising needs!
2010 FARM TO TABLE CONFERENCE MARCH 26-27, 2010
AT THE DAVID L. LAWRENCE CONVENTION CENTER
Friday March 26, 2010
Exhibit Hours: 10am – 5pm
Food Tasting: 5pm – 8pm
Saturday March 27, 2010
Exhibitor's Networking Breakfast: 8am – 10am
Exhibit Hours: 10am – 5pm
View their website for more information: Check rates and make a reservation.
Two day admission + Saturday Breakfast: $25
Friday Night Food Tasting: $25
Contact: Erin @ 412-563-7807
MUSICAL NETWORKING HAPPY HOUR WITH VOCALIST JESSICA LEE & FRIENDS EVERY THURSDAY 5:30 PM - 8 PM LITTLE E'S JAZZ & BLUES
Cover Charge: Only $5.00!
949 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
2nd Floor above Mahoney's Restaurant
THE "ENTREPRENEURIAL THURSDAYS" HAPPY HOUR SHOW AT LITTLE E’S
Live Music by City's Great Jazz/R&B Artists!
Interviews @ Musical Break with City's Leading Entrepreneurs/Innovators!
Great Business & Professional Networking!
March 25, 2010
Featuring Interviews with:
• Mary Pam Kilgore, CMP - Kilgore Business Services, LLC http://www.kilgorebusiness.com/
• Shonda Lynn Beverly, ShondaLynn Treats
• Kim Williams, Independent Life Style Entrepreneur - Soul Purpose (http://kimberlywilliams.soulpurpose.net/)
• Amy Walsh, Sharp Touches Stained Glass (FlickR.com/photos/sharp_touches)
• Tonia Clark, Tastefully Simple http://tastefullysimple.com/
• Kathy Callan, Body Beautiful http://bodybeautiful.net/
• Kelly Bixby Frank, Independent Sales Director Mary Kay Cosmetics www.marykay.com/kellyfrank
CENSUS JOBS APPLY NOW
Good Pay Temporary, Part-Time Jobs Close to Home Flexible Hours Paid Training
Call our toll free number to be scheduled for our basic skills tests 1-866-861-2010
WOMEN'S HEALTH & THE ENVIRONMENT CONFERENCE
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21, 2010, AT THE DAVID L. LAWRENCE CONVENTION CENTER
Surgeon General Regina M. Benjamin,
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson
and many other experts.
THREE PERFORMANCES AT BYHAM THEATER APRIL 10 & 11
Fred Garbo’s inventive inflatable creations shimmer, balloon, deflate and bounce into a rainbow of colors in this energetic performance. These blow-up shapes move in sync with the music across the stage, and before long, you will be playing catch with the giant inflatable objects. Fred Garbo's imagination comes to life to mesmerize audiences of all ages.
Online at http://pgharts.org/
Visit the Box Office at Theater Square 655 Penn Avenue Call 412-456-6666
Groups 10+ Tickets 412-471-6930
DISCOVER NEW TECHNOLOGICAL GADGETS AND GIZMOS WITH
TECHNO GRANNY, JOANNE QUINN-SMITH
MARCH 23, 5:30pm – 8pm AT THE PITTSBURGH ATHLETIC CLUB
See what is developing in IT to make our lives less complicated. Best Buy will be bringing the latest technology, mobile phones and computers to help us explore how we can do less with more – or is it more with less? Can we simplify while growing professionally? Let’s find out March 23rd.
The meeting is offered exclusively to TechPOWR members and guests. You must RSVP for this event by March 16th.
• A networking group that supports continuing education for executive-level women about existing and emerging technologies used in the workplace
• For professional women who want to enhance their job performance
• A non-competitive environment to learn about technology that can improve our professional and personal lives
TechPOWR, co-founded by Linda Richardson and Liz DeWitt in March 2009, has over 90 members and continues to attract professional women from Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas.
For more information about the March 23 meeting or
To join TechPOWR, go to LinkedIn groups (TechPOWR) or
ABOUT Joanne Quinn-Smith:
• CEO of Dreamweaver Marketing Associates, specializes in Personal and Business Branding through niche marketing and optimizing Internet opportunities
• publisher and host of several talk casts, including “Positively Pittsburgh Live”, “Techno Granny” and “Professionals with Impact,” and
• publisher of PositivelyPittsburghLiveMagazine.com, a multimedia resource for Pittsburgh.
• Winner of the 2009 National Small Business Administration Journalist of the Year award
• Speaker on Web 2.0 and Viral Marketing at the 2008 Pennsylvania Governor's Conference for Women,
• The 2007-2008 President of the Greater Pittsburgh Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners,
• The social Media speaker for the Annual Conference for the National Association Women Business Owners.
Check out her show Techno Granny at http://technogrannyshow.blogspot.com/
Linda Richardson, Heather Jewell
firstname.lastname@example.org TechPOWR Location and Time:
Pittsburgh Athletic Club
4215 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
www.paaclub.org for directions
You can listen to the entire Positively Pittsburgh news for this blog on the 2/15 Episode of Positively Pittsburgh Live at http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=336358&cmd=apop
Teamwork, dedication, commitment, a sense of community and giving back, that's what makes Kids and a Cause successful. Six girls, ranging in age from 10 to 15, devote many weekends, years now, designing their products to be sold at events like Women Think Pink in order to raise money for the Hillman Cancer Patient Assistance Fund, $9000 to date. They come as a package, Kathryn Bissert, Kelsie Bissert, Katie Derrick, Sarah Derrick, Heidi Schmidt, Heather Schmidt. Six girls on a mission to give back and make cancer patient care a little easier for those who are unable to afford the basic necessities during their recovery . They work well together, have fun together continue to learn how to run a successful business from their very accomplished and equally dedicated parents, and most importantly, how to make a spoon stick to their nose without falling off, an admirable accomplishment
I am proud to know Kathryn, Heidi, Katie, Kelsie, Heather and Sarah and so it is with great pride and hope that I nominate Kids and A Cause for consideration for NAWBO’s Make the Connection award.
Our future looks brighter because of them.
**We’re accepting nominations for Steeltown Heroes. These heroes will be honored on the show e and at Entrepreneurial Thursdays. They will also be nominated from Positively Pittsburgh Live for the 10th annual Make the Connection Awards Gala.
For more information about nominating for the Make the Connection Awards go to http://www.nawbopittsburgh.org/
You can email your nominations for Steeltown Hero to Joanne Quinn-Smith
Delana Flowers is a Positively Pittsburgh Live reporter, an independent writer and owner of Ingenuity Copywriting ©, writing effective copy so you don’t have to. Services include copywriting for newsletters, blogs, ad copy, marketing pieces, articles and reviews.