Positively Pittsburgh Live News from June 6, 2011
JAM ON WALNUT, A BLOCK PARTY
Saturday, June 28, July 26 and August 23, 2011, 7 – 11pm in Shadyside
Free concerts, $2 drinking wristband, proceeds benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
For three Saturdays every summer Shadyside hosts “Jam on Walnut”, a block party with great food, drinks and music to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Music begins at 7 p.m.
June 28 - Good Brother Earl Velveeta, July 26 - Chris Higbee Project Get Back - The Cast of Beatlemania, August 23 - Grapevine Rob, Greg, and Scott of the Clarks
Live Rhythm, Jazz, & Blues
With Vocalist Jessica Lee & Friends
Musical Networking Happy Hour EVERY THURSDAY 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM at Little E's Jazz & Blues, 949 Liberty Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, 2nd Floor above Mahoney's Restaurant, 412.392.2217
Cover Charge: Only $5.00!
JUNE 9, 2011
Pre-show networking session at 5:00 PM
Informal matchmaking for job seekers, employers & new entrepreneurs!
Live music starts at 6:00 PM.
"Network of Networks"
Featuring Interviews with:
- Co-host Bruce Conley, The Computer Coach (http://TheComputerCoach.us)
- Bernard T Martin, President - Rapid Production Marketing (www.rpmconsultants.us)
- Heather Masterson, Pittsburgh Cultural Trust (www.pgharts.org)
- Deborah Crum, Business Development Manager - The Chamber (http://thechamberinc.com/)
- Ethan Nicholas, President, Pittsburgh Social Exchange, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=200289480174
- Don Priestley, Executive Director - Priority Two (www.ptwo.org)
THE INSPIRED WOMEN CONFERENCE
Empowering full day conference coming to pittsburgh
Friday, june 10th at the Four Points Sheraton North, 9 – 5
The long-awaited follow-up to last year’s Fearless Women Day luncheon, will be an empowering full-day conference that includes a variety of topics that are relevant to women. The event brings top national and local experts from a variety of areas in both business and life breakout sessions, a panel discussion, and exhibitors. The day features the presentation of the Inspired Woman Award and a silent auction to benefit Treasure House Fashion. Following the day’s events will be a Networking Martini Happy Hour from 5 – 7.
What will we do with our Monday and Tuesday nights now that “Dancing with the Stars has had its finale and the winners have been announced? A dimpled MVP wide receiver and a sixty one year old overweight and obviously out of shape movie star have won first and second place on dancing with the stars on the most watched series of Dancing with the Stars in its twelve years.
So to fill the void left behind on Monday and Tuesday evenings (and I am not normally a TV watcher,) I have derived a short list of my ten favorites to be on a future episode of dancing with the stars and the reasons why.
1. Betty White, why not prove that 88 can also be classy and sexy?
2. Sandra Bullock’s ex-husband, Jesse James, a motor cycle customizer. Should Maks be the only bad boy on dancing with the stars? Perhaps it would solve Jesse’s PR challenge since breaking Sandra’s heart.
3. Melissa McCarthy, Mike and Molly Star, How about a real BBW who is also very funny and beautiful.
4. Joan Rivers, just because that would be a hoot and we could find out if she could end up saying, “Can we dance?”
5. Donald Trump, to discover how he would take being fired.
6. Hillary Clinton, wouldn’t it be great to see her in something other than a pantsuit? She is still a pretty classy lady.
7. Illusionist, Chris Angel, would he dance or levitate? He shouldn’t have any challenges with the aerials.
8. RuPaul, Andrew Charles--singer, songwriter, drag queen, why not dancer? Judging from Maks’ comedic antics with Tom Bergeron, I think Maks should be his partner.
9. Tom Jones, the world still loves to see him move his hips.
10. Jaleel White, Steve Urkel in Family Matters (1990-1997). It might be interesting to learn he is no longer the geek that we grew to know and love.
SO WHO ARE YOUR OUTRAGEOUS PICKS FOR DANCING WITH THE STARS?
What about your picks for Dancing with the Stars, Pittsburgh?
Here is the short list from me, Joanne Quinn-Smith, the TechnoGranny:
1. Mr. Mc Feely from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood—truly a legend and I’ll bet he still has a little twinkle in his toes.
2. Former City Council President, Doug Shields, after all he used to be a clown before City Council among his other professions. Great councilman, funny guy! Outstanding political moves! Could be something here!
3. County Executive, Dan Onorato, he's going to be out of a job soon.
4. Lynn Cullen, is her dancing as outrageous as her famous voice?
5. Sally Wiggins, already in training from following Hines. She should have learned some moves by now.
6. Assistant Chief of Police, Marita Bryant, she will keep law and order on the dance floor.
7. Lynn Swan, the original dancing Steeler. All those ballet lessons should come in handy; he just may have been Hines mentor.
8. Darlene Harris, President Pittsburgh City Council, let's see if City Council would support her like the Steelers supported Hines. Hint: Holding your breath could be hazardous to your health.
9.Rose from Quinn and Rose, she certainly has competitive expertise from the War Room.
10. And finally the Pittsburgh Pirate Parrot has some nice moves, why not? And no one would doubt that he would have animal magnetism on the dance floor.
Being a Fantasy Island fan from the seventies I am only sad thatTattoo (played by Hervé Villechaize) is not around to say, “The BUS, boss, the BUS! as the star studded bus could ceremoniously arrive on Neville Island with Jerome Bettis to greet it and operate as master of ceremonies.
So waiting for your list and the winner with the best list will be interviewed on PositivelyPittsburghLive to give us your blow by blow analysis of Dancing with the Stars, what your original predictions were and why you thought Hines was a shoo in to win the mirror ball.
Come on now, you know you want to do it. Your turn to be a celebrity!
Here’s what we need:
1. Name, address, phone number, e-mail address. You know the drill.
2. Your top ten picks for Pittsburghers to be on a special edition of Dancing with the Stars Pittsburgh and your reason for each one.
3. You have carte blanche here to be funny and irreverent but not pornographic because PositivelyPittsburghLive is a g-rated show and we try to stay away from adult content.
4. Please e-mail the PositivelyPittsburghLive staff at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The top three list winners will be interviewed on a Special Edition of PositivelyPittsburghLive to answer the questions:
- Is there really Life After Dancing with the Stars?
- Will the Mirror Ball Ever Replace the Super Bowl Trophy?
- Should the Emmitt Smith/Heinz Ward Twinkle Toes Scholarship Fund be started for off season football players to take dancing lessons?
- And any other tomfoolery or serious stuff that we can think up for the interview!
Actually after the winners are announced we will ask our readers and listeners to come up with questions.
Deadline for all applications is June 13, 2011.
PositivelyPittsburghLive Dancing with the Stars Special Edition will be talkcasted on the TalkShoe network on June 20, 2011 at 7 PM.
LEGO® KIDSFEST PITTSBURGH
Three Acres of Hands-On Educational Fun for All Ages
June 17 – 19
The LEGO® KidsFest national tour stops at Pittsburgh’s David L. Lawrence Convention Center, bringing all of the creative hands-on, minds-on fun of LEGO building and experiences together in this 125,000 square foot activity and entertainment-packed family event for children of all ages and builders of all skills and interests. “Any family who likes to be inspired, get hands-on and have fun together won’t want to miss LEGO KidsFest,” said Vince Rubino, LEGO events manager. “We’re bringing so many activities for Pittsburgh-area families to test and showcase their creativity and building skills in what is sure to be a family event to remember.”
Read entire press release at: http://dreamweavermarketingassociates.blogspot.com/2011/06/lego-kidsfest-national-tour-in.html
KUDOS FOR PITTSBURGH, BUSINESS FOR YOU
5:30 PM to 8 PM
· Local Good News Media Panel
Soul Pitt Media
Women’s Independent Press
Keynote by Jill Lublin on Influence Marketing
5 to 6 PM, Heavy Appetizers and Networking,
6 to 6:45 PM Media Panel,
6:45 PM to 8 PM Wrap up by Jill Lublin and Questions
$45.00 get $40.00 gfift card from Spa voted Best in Pittsburgh
$25.00 Gift Certificate from Greg Jockel Hair Design
110% Money back guarantee: If within 90 days you do not find one thing that you cand use to promote your business.
These notes have been taken from PosisitvelyPittsburghLive News Report from Monday 6-6-11
Delana Flowers is a multi-talented creative. She is a Positively Pittsburgh Live reporter, a dynamic vocalist, an amazing Actress, and an independent writer. Delana is owner of Ingenuity by Delana Flowers ©, writing effective copy so you don’t have to. Services include copywriting for newsletters, blogs, ad copy, marketing pieces, articles, reviews, invitations, postcards, flyers and more.